Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Teamhair, Áth Treasna
- XML Page 462
- XML “Local Heroes - Strong Men”
- XML “Local Heroes - Strong Women”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Dr. O'Callaghan of Kanturk has won world wide fame competing in the throwing the 16 lbs hammer. He was declared world's champion at Los Angeles and Stockholm.Jeremiah O'Keeffe of Glenlara, Newmarket, was able to catch a large kitchen table with his teeth and throw it over his head.
William Quinlan of Newmarket, when a young man was able to catch a sack of meal (20 stones) and throw it, over a rail of a horse's cart about 6 ft high to load it for a customer on a market day.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- Mrs. Barry of Cummer, a woman of small stature, carried a firkin of butter from her home in Cummer to Cork market, a distance of 40 mls and returned home on the same night walking the entire journey. (The weight of butter and firkin cannot be ascertained.
Mrs. Hannah Latchford, (another woman of small stature,) of Taur, Newmarket, Co. Cork. often walked from her home in Taur to Kanturk a distance of 11 miles, and brought home on her back, a cwt. of blasting powder, for the use of her husband, who was a quarry man at Taur quarries.
It is also stated about her, that she walked to Kiskeam a distance of 7 English miles, as local shops were not as plentiful then as now, and brought home on her back half-a-sack (10 sts) of flour and six loaves bread.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.