Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- The local forge March 18th, 1938.
The local forge is situated at Currihaly, about one mile from Farran village and a quarter of a mile from the Cork Crookstown road.
The forge is the property of the Murphy family and the work is done by two bothers, Jeremiah and John Murphy. Their father was also a smith and their grandfather also worked at the trade. The present blacksmiths are strong men and do very good work. Besides the shoeing of horses they also make gates, parts for ploughs and bands for wheels.
The house is build of stone and mortar and is covered by a felt roof. Inside there is a hob on which a fire is burning and in it the iron is reddened. The iron is then placed on the anvil and hammered into the required shape. The bellows is used for blowing the fire.
Outside the door is a round trough, and when bands are being put on wheels the wheels are put into it and water thrown on them.
In recent years motors have taken the place of horses in many instances and on account of this development black smiths are not getting so much work to do.
John Corkery, Roovesmore, Co. Cork
Mr. Corkery, Roovesmore, Co. Cork (father)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- The Local Graveyards. March 24th 1938
A graveyard is a consecrated piece of ground set aside specially as a burial place. There are three of these graveyards in this parish, namely, Aglish,(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.