[page number] 155
Castlestrange & Ogham Stone
The Castle of Le Strange is across the River Suck about 2 miles from the village of Castlecoote. There was a Governor of Roscommon town in 1566 named Le Strange who was supposed to be the owner.
There is a famous Ogham stone near the remains of the castle. It is pre-Christian & over 2000 years old. A party of Antiquarians visited some years ago and took a Plaster cast and photo of the stone. This Plaster cast is in our city museum, as also of a similar stone to be seen in Turoe, Co. Galway.
The inscriptions on the Ogham stone are Pre-Christian. The stone is a granite boulder 4 feet high. Its top is curiously carved and furnishes a proof of the existence of a high degree of culture at the dawn of Christianity in this country.
The sculptured stone which is connected with the La Tene civilization was introduced into Ireland by the Celts. The curves are characteristic features of the La Tene decoration. The stone is an erratic boulder and measures 3 ft by 2 ft. Its ornamentation is incised and not carved. There are only three others in Ireland viz. Turoe in Loughrea. The Mullaghmast stone in Co. Kildare and Kellycloggan stone in County Cavan.