The Penal TimesMass was abborted in many places in the parish of Kilgefin during the penal days as the fields themselves will testify when we examine them.
On the north eastern slope of Fairymount hill there is a secluded townland named Aughawernia (Augh-Urnaidhe) which means the ''field of prayer''
By 1654 the place name had already come to use under the form ''Aghowornishny''
In that townland is a small damp tub shaped hollow called '' Pollinaffrin'' Poll-an-Aiffrion'' which means, ''Mass Hollow''
When people began to build houses on the higher part of Aughawernia the village with the adjoining fields in which Poll an Aifrinn is situated was called Ballinwooly, ''Bally-an-Uladh'' which means the ''village of the Altar''
These three place names in a cluster, Aughwernia, Poll-an-Aifrinn
(continues on next page)