Monasterevan - Moore Abbey.Rosglas was the old name of this place. This district was in the Barony of Offaly till the acts 6 and 7 of William IV 1765. It was then incorporated with Kildare.Dimusac, King of Offaly, invited Saint Evan and his monks from Munster. They came and built their monastery on the banks of the Barrow in the place now called Moore Abbey. These monks were so famous for sancity and learning that the people who came and built the town around the monastery changed the name from Rosglas to Monasterevan.Saint Evan wrote.1. Tripartite life of Saint Patrick (In Latin and Irish).
2. Life of Saint Comgall (Bangor).In the 9th or 10th century the monastery was probably destroyed by the Danes during their ravaging expeditions through Ireland. In the beginning of the Anglo Norman invasion, O'Dempsey, King of Offaly defeated the Normans and in thanksgiving to God for his victory, he invited the Cistercian
(continues on next page)
- Mooreabbey Demesne