School: Naas (Christan Bros.) (roll number 16708)

Location:
Naas, Co. Kildare
Teacher:
T. Ó Neachtain, S. Ó Súilleabháin

Filter stories

Back
/ 324 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Naas (Christan Bros.) | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0776, Page 323

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

St. David

Patrick Rogers
10, St. Bridget’s Tce,
Naas.
Situated in the town of Naas, is a very ancient church. It is interesting to know that this church is built on the site of St. Patrick’s tent when he pitched it when he came to convert the people of Naas.
Long ago when the Normans conquered Ireland they divided the counties into baronies. Each man appointed over a barony was called a baron. William Fitzgerald was given the barony of Naas in 1176 by Henry II. William Fitzgerald came from Pembroke and after some time his friends came over also. When they built the church they dedicated it to St. David because the patron Saint of Pembroke was St. David whence they came.
When the new church was built it was

(continues on next page)
Collector
Patrick Rogers
Gender
male
Address
Naas, Co. Kildare
Informant
Margaret Rogers
Gender
male
Age
67
Address
Naas, Co. Kildare
Language
English