School: Clara (roll number 16116)

Location:
Clara Upper, Co. Kilkenny
Teacher:
Máire Ní Mhathúna

Filter stories

Back
/ 428 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Inns - The Pike

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0859, Page 376

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Near Leyrath there is an inn called the "Pike". Tithes were collected by the landlord, here, after the Reformation, 1547. These were given to the Protestant Minister who lived in Kilkenny. Money was the usual thing given, but anyone who could not afford it, gave potatoes or other crops instead.
This inn gets its name "The Pike" - from the fact that that the "Pike - men" used to meet there. There were sometimed disputes over the payment of the "Tithes" to the Protestant Ministers. It is situated about 2 1/2 miles S.E. of Kilkenny City.
"Fox and Goose Inn" - This is situated in Clifden
Parish - Clara
Co. Kilkenny.
It gets its name from the sign (which is still over the door) - A fox with a goose in his grip.

Informant
Denis Carroll
Gender
male
Age
60
Occupation
labourer
Address
Templemartin, Co. Kilkenny
Language
English