School: Scoil na Mainistreach (roll number 1793)

Killarney, Co. Kerry
An Br. P.C. Mac Niallghuis
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0455, Page 153

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0455, Page 153

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Scoil na Mainistreach
  2. XML Page 153
  3. XML “Bóithre an Cheantair”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. These are the names of the roads in this parish, The New Line, The Boggy Road and others which have no especial names.
    There is another road which is called the Bockhill Road. This Road leads to Castleisland. There is another called Carraig a'Trap road which leads to the Kilcummin Graveyard.
    There is only one very old road in this parish but it is not much used by the public nowadays. It was built during the Famine years. Men and women worked together on the hard-edged cut stones, in their bare feet. As payment for this gruelling labour the received the meagre fee of one shilling and their meals. It was for the latter that they really worked.
    Long ago people had to cross rivers over which there were no bridges. Near Killarney at a place called the Countesse's bridge there is a
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. public infrastructure
          1. roads (~2,778)