School: Gníomh go Leith (C.) (roll number 3686)

Gneevgullia, Co. Kerry
Máire, Bean Uí Chróinín
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0451, Page 287

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0451, Page 287

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Gníomh go Leith (C.)
  2. XML Page 287
  3. XML “An Old Cemetry”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. In Freemount between Na Mínte Oga and Rath-Mhor is the old cemetery of Sean-Sheieal meaning "Old Chapel" and is still so called. Darley Moynihan a very old man who died lately said that (as one would naturally suspect) that there were priests buried here. The cemetery wall was built by the guardians of the poor about 1910. Stones of the old Chapel were put into the wall. But there are two heaps still remaining. The two oldest graves are McCarthys of Minte Oga (died 1854) and Brosnans of Minte Oga (d 1833) There are no tombs. People are leaving here now and going to the New Ground in Rathmor. The most interesting thing in the cemetery are the unmarked graves side by side of the Donnelly's - the victims of the moving bog of 1896.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    1. objects
      1. man-made structures
        1. historical and commemorative structures (~6,794)
          1. graveyards (~2,501)