Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Midway between Rathmore and Ballydesmond there is a bog which gave way in 1896 and a whole family were lost. On the borders of this bog was an old hollow or cave called cumar na madraí or the dogs' hollow. The place got its name from a certain incident which occurred. A Priest was going late at night through this place to anoint some person who was dying. He was attracted by the sound of singing, which came from the cave. The song was very sweet and he stood for a while listening, forgetting his surroundings. He at last tore himself away and hurried towards the house of the dying man. But when he reached there he found the man was dead a few minutes. He was seized with remorse and cursed the place and cursed the Song. Tradition has it that the song was - cailín deas cruíste na mbó and as a natural result(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.