About a quarter of a mile to the south of our school is a high mound surmounted by an oak tree. On this mound stood a Castle which was the property of Moriarty chief of the district.At the time of the arrival of the Spaniards at Smerwick, the English soldiers in order to deprive them of food, drove all cattle in the peninsula eastwards. They were intercepted in Keel by Moriarty, and a great conflict ensued. One of the English challenged Moriarty to single combat. This duel was fought at Gortanedin - not far to the north of the school. Power had a coat of mail on and Moriarty was in great danger trying to kill Power with a sword. An Irishman in the English force sympathised with Moriarty and spoke to him in Irish to kill him as they killed goats - "Marbhuigh é mar mharbhuightear na gabhair. Sáith sa scórnaigh é".
Moriarty at once drove his sword through Power's throat and killed him. A large stone known as "Clodhan a Phaoraigh" (?) marks the spot where he was killed. At the death of Power his men ran eastward along the southern slopes of Slieve Mish, but Moriarty's men followed them and at a place known as "Cnocán na Marbh" they were killed. In 1652 Ludlow leveled the castle by bringing his boats up the Maine or Laune and using cannons on it. Some years ago, a cannon ball and sword were
(continues on next page)