Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- Ballymacelligott is called after the McElligotts who had many castles there long ago. Castle McElligott near Arabella was battered down by Cromwell's soldiers (some walls and foundations is still to be seen on Mr. Peets farm). The propietor of Ballymacelligott married Grace Crosbie of Ardfert and his son Colonel McElligott saved Colonel David Crosbie's life when Ballingarry Fort (Ballyheigue) was captured in 1641.There was another castle at Beala-ger-lough (local pronunciation) near Ballymacthomas on the Killarney Road. It was in t a fair so state of preservation up to a few years ago when it was destroyed by being demolished for its stones to be used as road material.A jail at Carrignafeela was used by a tyrant of the McElligotts. A local tradition has it that he used to hang people there for the amusement of his family. The gallows was in the jail until sixty years ago.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.