There was an old school situated in the Sandy Lane, Barrow. The master taught his pupils in a room, while the kitchen was occupied by a family of the O'Sullivans. Mr. Fitzgerald was the master's name and he lodged in a house in Rathoneen. All the children of Barrow and Rathoneen went there to school. Between forty-five and fifty pupils attended this school. He was a very good teacher and he made some good scholars. Some of his pupils are still living in Barrow. This school was there until Barrow National School was built in the year 1880. In the school Algebra and the A. B. C. in English was taught. They had no copy-books only slates to work on, and they sat on blocks of timber.