School: Coolavin (roll number 10422)

Location:
Monasterredan, Co. Sligo
Teacher:
Mícheál Ó Braonáin

Filter stories

Back
/ 299 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Fairy Fort

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0188, Page 229

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

In the townland of Shroofe there is to be found a fort of immense size. It is owned by Patrick Finan. It is circular in shape and has a stone fence around it. Many interesting stories are told about this fort.
In the centre there is to be found an entrance consisting of stone stairs leading down to a room made of stone. This room is about six feet from the surface.
In 1916 any of the Irish Youths hid in this room from enemies who were called "the Black and Tans."
When deaths occurred in this district of Shroofe lights were to be noticed in and around the fort.
Many people say that the fairies sing with great joy when a couple gets married. Others say the fairies chant "The Dead March" when a funeral is taking place.
It is told by ancient people that a number of them have discovered a "Black Cat" on guard in the entrance under ground, during the night.
The owner of the land never interferes with this fort, because tradition tells us that the crops sown by any man who interferes with this fort, will not bear good fruit but will fail and that he, in a year or less, will find himself failing.

(continues on next page)
Collector
Teresa Kilrehal
Gender
female
Address
Sroove, Co. Sligo
Language
English