The ruins of the Castle of Moygara are situated three miles south of this district. It was built by the Fitzgeralds and owned by The O'Garas. Fargal O'Gara Lord of Moygara and patron
II of Franciscans who wrote the Annals of Donegal lived therein. This castle was destroyed by an O'Gallagher of Donegal. Fargal O'Gara was killed by one O'Callaghan some say in his garden near the castle. Others hold that he was waylaid at Battlefield three miles north of the castle. O'Gara was on horseback on his way from Ballymote. Local tradition holds that O'Gara notwithstanding his great learning was a great tyrant in dealing with poor tenants in this area.
The castle stands on about 1/2 a mile from the western shore of Lough Gara anciently called Lough Teachet.
II. The ruins of the ancient church at Kilshalvey are situated one and a half miles due north from the present village of Gurteen Co Sligo. This church was destroyed about the year 1712. A certain Bryan McDonagh of Behy (Ballymote)