There are many strange customs in this parish of Killoran in the barony of Leyney in the Co. Sligo.1. It is a bad sign to meet a redhaired woman early in the morning and many people turn back on meeting one.
2. Water is never thrown out on Saturday night.
3. On Xmas night a candle is left lighted and the door is left opened.
4. Every night the hearth is supposed to be swept clean, and a basin of water is left for the fairies.
5. When old women meet they have snuff, and one treats the other to it.
6. On november's night no one goes out, as it is believed that the fairies are out on
(continues on next page)
- Patrick Mc Laughlin
- Knockadoo, Co. Sligo