School: Leac Snámha (B.) (roll number 10957)

Location:
Lixnaw, Co. Kerry
Teacher:
Dáithí. B. Ó Duilleáin

Filter stories

Back
/ 252 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Ruins

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0411, Page 089

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Lixnaw is noted all over Ireland for its ancient historical ruins. It was not always the unimportant village that it is now. Long ago it was the chief town in the barony of Clanmaurice, being an important town when Listowel was only a collection of a few thatched houses. As long as the year 1320, it was referred to as a flourishing town. There are several old ruins such as the Old Courts, the Monument and the Hermitage. The Old Courts were built on the river Brick. They were built by the Fitzmaurices in the year 1200. This castle is now 738 years old. It is situated in the townland of the Old Courts, in the parish of Kilcaragh and in the barony of Clanmaurice. It is in the count of Kerry and was formerly of great importance. It was built by Thomas Fitzmaurice who was the son of Maurice Fitzgerald and the first baron of Lixnaw. The district was given to Maurice Fitzgerald by Raymond Le Gros as a reward for fighting for him ar the of the Norman

(continues on next page)
Collector
John Shanahan
Gender
male
Address
Irrabeg, Co. Kerry
Informant
Thomas Lawlor
Gender
male
Address
Irrabeg, Co. Kerry
Language
English