School: Cloonkeen Kerrill (roll number 15429)

Location:
Clonkeenkerrill, Co. Galway
Teacher:
Theresa M. Hurley

Filter stories

Back
/ 407 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Ruins

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0078, Page 345

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The Local Ruins are castles and monasteries. The old castles are Castleblakeney, Garbally and Monivea The man who built those castles was O'Kelly of Hy Many. In 1504 when De Burgo was invading Connacht he took these castles and gave them to the Ffrenches. The people of the district did not like this and they attacked and knocked Garbally castle. The ruins of Garbally are there yet. The castle of Castleblakeney was also knocked but the wall of the castle are there yet. When the Ffrenches saw this they fortified Monivea. A man named Ireton attacked it but he did not succeed in capturing it. They have the cannon balls that were fired at the castle there yet.
There are three monasteries in the parish of Ballymacward, Woodlawn, County Galway. There is an old monastery in Cloonkeen Kerrill, Colemanstown, Ballinasloe, County Galway. It was abandoned when the Danes plundered it but it was built again by Malachy O'Kelly. The door and windows are carved. The head of a bishop is carved on a stone up on the abbey.

(continues on next page)
Language
English