Less than three miles from Islandanny school is the town of Abbeyfeale. In olden times it was a village so inaccessible that the locality between it and "Glen" was used by the Rockites in 1822 as 'the head quarters of our camp in Abbeyfeale'.
The Abbey which gave its name to the place was a Cistercian one of some celebrity, founded in 1188 by Brian O Brian. Half a mile below the river overlooking the Feale are the ruins of Purt Castle -
"By the Feale's wave benighted"