The Workhouse was built in 1841. In the famine years it was full up of people who had no food to eat and other houses were used as workhouses. One of these was the college and another Dowd's house. The People who died in the workhouse were buried in Teampall Bán. In the year 1920 the workhouse was closed and the poor people were removed to the county Home in Killarney.The house next to the workhouse was turned into a convent in 1891. The mercy nuns lived here. Before that this house was occupied by a party of British horse-soldiers called the Scots' Greys. They lived there from 1880 until 1883. One of these was drowned in the river and the place is now known as the Corporals' holeIn 1922 the workhouse was burned down by the Republicans and at the present time a new hospital is being built.
- Maurice Bambury
- Dromin Upper, Co. Kerry