Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- In the year 1847 when the famine was in the country the government build a big house in Oughterard called the Work-House. Tickets used be given out in it every day to the poor people and there used be crowds outside it every day trying to get one.
The shopkeepers were supposed to give them a stone of Indian Meal if they had a ticket. Any person who would not have a ticket would have to pay 4/6d a stone. At that time they used to call it yellow-meal.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- There are three Holy wells in the Parish St. Cummins well, St. Michaels Well and the other well is down near the Ivy Gable. The Holy water used be blessed in this well by the(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.