School: Feilm (roll number 10786)

Location:
Farm, Co. Galway
Teacher:
T. Ó Domhnaill

Filter stories

Back
/ 031 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Feilm | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0013, Page 031

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

April 4th 1938
Old Graveyards
There are five graveyards around here. There names are Moore, Templetogher, Kildaree, Kilcroan, Granlahan. All the graveyards are in use. They are in bad use.
There are ruins in nearly all graveyards. Long ago the church of this parish was in Templetogher. There are a good few trees in Granlahan graveyard. There is a tomb in Granlahan.
There are headstones in all graveyards, they are shaped like a cross on the top and made of stone. Some people have wooden crosses over their graves.
There is no disused graveyard around here. Ages ago their were ruins in Moore. At that time Moore was called CillNa Mná Dubh. There was a convent and the nuns were called Na Mná Dubha. The mortar for the walls, was mixed with the blood of oxen, and that is why the walls are lasting so long.
A great many people go to graveyards in other parishes. Kildaree got its name or name from to Kings who fought hand to hand with swords on a rock that is in Kildaree graveyard.
The place where the kings knelt as they fought is still to be seen on the rock. The tracks of their knees and swords are on the rock.

Informant
John Finnegan
Gender
male
Age
80
Occupation
farmer
Address
Farm, Co. Galway
Language
English