School: Port Omna (B) (roll number 2174)

Location:
Portumna, Co. Galway
Teacher:
Seán Ó Broin

Filter stories

Back
/ 0214 Forward
Resolution: Low | High

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0057, Page 0099

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Founded under the title of Saint Mary, & Saint Peter & Paul about 1426. The Cistercian monks of Dunbrody, County, Wexford has previously possessed a chapel here dedicated to Saint Peter & Paul and that this chapel having afterwards been forshaken by them and fallen into possession of the lords of the soil, the latter had given it to the Dominicians with the permission of the bishop of Clonfert, no opposition being made on the part of the monks.
It appears that the Dominicians with previous permission from the holy see, had begun to erect a church or abbey on this site, and an indulgence was given to all the faithful, who helped in bringing the building to completion. It was built at Portumna in the barony of Longford (Co Galway) on a site belonging to the O'Madden the illustrious chief of a very old Irish family, on the banks of a river called Senann in Irish about 1620, It was a vicariate under the abbey of Athenry till 1640. Formed then into a priory

(continues on next page)
Collector
Seán Ó Broin
Gender
male
Occupation
teacher
Informant
Mairtín Ó hÉidhin
Gender
male
Age
60
Occupation
siopadóir
Address
Gortanummera, Co. Galway
Language
English