School: Béal Átha na Sluagh (Buachaillí)

Location:
Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
Teacher:
Liam P. Mac an Bháird

Filter stories

Back
/ 0099 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Béal Átha na Sluagh (Buachaillí) | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0029, Page 0003

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(no title)

There is no record of any event of national importance taking place in this school area.

There is no record of any event of national importance taking place in this school area. As the name Beal Átha na Sluagh indicates, there was a ford on the river Suck at this point of its course and as was the case with many other fords on Irish rivers a settlement grew up at the point where people met to cross the river. The name further suggests "gatherings" and the town has long been noted for its fairs, particularly the October fair, but whether the gatherings gave rise to the fairs or the fairs caused the gatherings it is now impossible to ascertain.

A stone bridge was built over the Suck in Ballinasloe in 1120 by one of the O'Connor Kings. The Jacobite army crossed the Suck on their retreat from Athlone to Aughrim but not over this bridge which was protected by an Elizabethan castle. The crossing probably took place at another ford a mile or so down the river and their line of march must have been over the ground traversed by Tadg Mór Ó Ceallaigh chief of this territory when he led his men back from Clontarf to his home at Aughrim at 1014.
Ballinasloe Boys' National School 16063 -

(continues on next page)
Collector
William P. Ward
Gender
male
Language
English