Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Holmpatrick
- XML Page 105
- XML “Festival Customs - St Stephen's Day - The Wren Boys”
- XML “Festival Customs - Halloween”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)each house,when they expect at least two pence.
St Stephen's Day is sometomes called boxing day here, as that is the day on which Christmas boxes are given.
6, Strand st, Skerries, Co Dublin.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
Halloween is a great day in Skerries for fortune telling, especially to find out who one's future wife or husband is to be.
1. Melt some lead on a red hot shovel, and pour it through a widow's key into a basin of cold water. It is supposed to form the name of your future wife or husband.
2. Go to a cross-roads at midnight with your mouth full of water and five beans. There you will hear somebody say the name of your future wife or husband.
3. Peel a turnip without breaking the skin, and throw it (the skin) over your left shoulder, when it will form the initial letter of your future wife's or husband's Christian name.
4. Put some flour on a plate, put a(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.