School: Drong (roll number 15699)

Drung, Co. Donegal
Seán P. Mac Gabhann

Filter stories

/ 273 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Local Forge

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1117, Page 211

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

In this district there are eight forges, but one of them is out of use. Starting at the lower end of the parish, we have Alex logue, Ballylawn) John Farren, Clare) William Doherty, Ballyargus, David Montgomery, Drung , Tommy Gurney, Drung, John Crawford, Crehennan, John McLaughlin, Quigley's Pt. and John Harkin Muff.
At different times of the year these blacksmiths are very hard at work, repairing plough's, harrows, grubbers, grapes, spades, and shovels. The roofs on most of the forges are made of boards, and and well coated with felt, and tar. Most of the doors on the forges are made of wood with an iron bar to hold it together.
The tools a smith uses in his everyday work are an anvil, a hammer, a knife, a pair of nippers, and a few files. Most of the forges are situated beside a stream, and near to a crossroads. The reason for building near a stream is to have

(continues on next page)
Edward Toye
Quigley's Point, Co. Donegal