School: Drong (roll number 15699)

Drung, Co. Donegal
Seán P. Mac Gabhann

Filter stories

/ 273 Forward
Resolution: Low | High

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1117, Page 154

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Lime Kilns
In this district there are countless numbers of lime kilns. The lime-stone from which the lime is made can be obtained from the quarry at Glentogher, or at Glenagannon, or at the quarry at Ballyloskey.
Two or three men with horses and carts start off early in the morning for some of the quarries and it takes three hours to get to it. The lime-stone is of a blue colour. When they have a sufficient quantity drawn they bring three loads of turf and a load of sods.
In some waste corner of a field there is a kiln and then they bring forth the lime-stone, the mountain turf, and the sods, and put the quantity in the quarry, put a fire in-side, and after a little all goes on fire.
At the bottom of the quarry there is a square hole which is meant to let the air into the quarry. It takes almost two days to burn it. When it is

(continues on next page)
May Mc Laughlin
Ballyargus, Co. Donegal