School: Drong (roll number 15699)

Location:
Drung, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Seán P. Mac Gabhann

Filter stories

Back
/ 273 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Drong

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1117, Page 117

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The name "Drung", meaning " a place where crowds meet," is now, as it was in former times, a very appropriate one, as on each Sunday and holiday of obligation, the people assemble for Mass in the Church of St. Columba on the same site where Mass has been celebrated for centuries.
The townland of Drung lies on the western side of the "Drung River", a ? mere stream which rises in the upper portion of the townland known as Drung Hill, and after flowing for about three miles, it enters Lough Foyle about six miles from Moville, and about fourteen miles from Doire Colmcille. It is in the District Electoral Division of Redcastle, and in the Barony of Inishowen.
The present parish of Iskaheen to which Drung now belongs extends from within four miles of Derry to about a mile from Moville ; from Culmore to Glebe Bridge. The parish is long, narrow, and mountainous, and adjoins Lough Foyle for

(continues on next page)
Collector
Seán P. Mac Gabhann
Gender
male
Address
Drung, Co. Donegal
Language
English
Location
Drung