School: Clochar na Trócaire, Carn Domhnaigh (roll number 16821)

Location:
Ballylosky, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
An tSr. M. Beirín Ní Bhaoighill

Filter stories

Back
/ 308 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Ruins

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1114, Page 257

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Where the present District Hospital, Carndonagh stands, we are told there stood in penal times a convent. From this convent to the Monastery as far as can be traced there was an underground passage.

As regards to the site of the monastery there is difference of opinion. Some hold the belief that it and the adjoining Church occupied the place where the present Protestant Church stands.
John Kearney aged eighty five from Inishineill, Carndonagh, at present in the District Hospital informed the Sisters of Mercy that from what he could gather from his parents, the real site of Monastery was in the demesne

(continues on next page)
Language
English