First it was an old tower and in the year 1895 it was remodelled by Camel and Son's Belfast. These are the names of local workmen, Joe Durnin, James Sweeny, Alic Craig, James Hardy, and John Thomason. Mr Beard was the foreman. It was built by concrete and brick. Soldiers did not stay in it, but just when they came in ships they camp for the night. The British Government occupied it first and in the year 1921 the British left it. And in the year 1922 the Republicans stayed in it.