School: Tamney (Robertson)

Location:
Tawny, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Mrs Kyle

Filter stories

Back
/ 360 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Morass Castle

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1090, Page 309

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Morass castle was built in the year 1432 by one of the chiefs of the MacSwineys a man called Turlough MacSwine.
It was alter inhabited by an uncle of Manus Mac Swines.
The mother of red Hugh ODonnell lived there for a little while. A man named Campbell lived in it later he was the chief Constable of Co Donegal.
The Rock on which the ruins of the old Castle stands is called the Rock of Hospitality. This castle must have been well built because you could not pull out even the smallest stone.
The old people say it was built with lime mixed with goat's milk.
Many people have climbed to the top of it because there is a good view.
The old Castle is just sitting along the Mulroy Bay, at Morass Ferry.

(continues on next page)
Collector
Dan Gallagher
Gender
male
Age
over 12
Address
Moross, Co. Donegal
Informant
P. Carr
Gender
male
Occupation
farmer
Occupation
clerk
Occupation
reporter
Address
Moross, Co. Donegal
Language
English
Location
Moross