School: Lurganboyce (roll number 14224)

Location:
Lurganboy, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Antoine Ó Cairbre

Filter stories

Back
/ 032 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Lurganbuidhe (Lurgan Boyce) National School

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1088, Page 002

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

1. Lurganbuidhe (Lurgan Boyce) National School
This School was built in the year 1892 A.D., and was officially opened as a National School on October 1st 1893 A.D. The official name Lurgan Boyce appears to be incorrect. The proper name would appear to be Lurganboy. Very Rev. John R. Collins P.P.V.J. Succeeded in having this School erected. Prior to that time this district had no National School and the children of the district went to Carradoan School which was difficult to access for young pupils. Consequently very few of the people of this district can either read or write. A non-classed Teacher (Miss Katie Doohan, native of Glenvar) taught an Evening School in houses in the district many years ago. Patrick Loughrey, Elly now aged 68 and John D. Gallagher, Lurganboy now aged 69 were pupils of this Evening School conducted by Miss Doohan. She received no Government Grant for her Teaching but the parents of the pupils gave small contributions to her. Reading and Writing were the only subjects taught. Pupils received no teaching in Arithmetic.From 1893 A.D. to 1904 A.D. Lurgan Boyce National School was in charge of one Teacher, and during those eleven years it had five Teachers (Principals):- Miss Susan McDonald, Miss Grace McDevitt, Miss Brigid Marley
.

(continues on next page)
Collector
Anthony Carbery
Gender
male
Occupation
múinteoir
Informant
Charles Doherty
Gender
male
Address
Legland, Co. Donegal
Language
English