School: Tulach Beag (roll number 10717)

Location:
Tully Beg, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Anna Stamhbridge

Filter stories

Back
/ 153 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Midnight Bell

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1087, Page 149

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

In the barony of Kilmacrennan are the ruins of Killdonell Abbey, which was founded four hundred years ago by the O'Donnell's. This abbey is about five miles southwest of our school. Only apart of the sidewalls and a turret are now to be seen. According to a local legend the Abbey bell is heard once every seven years and at the midnight hour. A party of pirates attacked the abbey and carried off many things amongst them was the bell. They took the stolen goods with them and departed across the lough. A storm arose and the robbers were drowned and the sacred bell was never returned. it is kept somewhere at the bottom of the lough and its muffled tones can be heard every seven years at the still hour of midnight.

Collector
Jim Mac Hugh
Gender
male
Age
12
Language
English