School: Tulach Beag (roll number 10717)

Location:
Tully Beg, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Anna Stamhbridge

Filter stories

Back
/ 153 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Fairies of Doon

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1087, Page 148

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

About seven miles from our school is the historic rock of Doon on which the O'Donnell's of Tir-Conail were always crowned. This rock is called the Rock of Doon. Story tellers say that it is the headquarters of the fairies in Donegal.
There is a sort of cave in the eastern side of the rock of Doon which forms a vestible to a great cavern. This cavern is the favourite abode of the fairies. From time to time some gifted people are supposed to have seen thousands of these tiny people entering the cave.

Collector
Kathleen Hilferty
Gender
female
Age
14
Address
Moylehill, Co. Donegal
Language
English