School: Grianán Ailigh (roll number 2049)

Location:
Grianan of Aileach, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Niall S. Mac Aoidh

Filter stories

Back
/ 218 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
The Story of Inch Castle

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1108, Page 172

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Inch castle is situated on Inch Island beside Lough Swilly. It was built in the year 143 [?] by the ODoherty's.
The castle walls were built with huge stone boulders.The mortar used was mixed with the blood of oxen so that it could bear the brunt of war and weather. All around its walls there were holes which were always manned by snipers in the time of seiges.
In the year 1454 Rury ODonnell ordered the castle to be burned. Donnell ODonnell was tied in the castle. Rury took pity on him and ordered his release. Rury was

(continues on next page)
Collector
Philomena Mac Grath
Gender
female
Address
Castlecooly, Co. Donegal
Language
English