School: Gartan (roll number 13755)

Location:
Bellville or Gartan, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Nóra Ní Dhuibhe

Filter stories

Back
/ 369 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Old Crafts

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1072, Page 358

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Between two and three hundred years ago, a very important iron smelting industry, was carried on in the townland of Terargus, Parish of Gartan, about a mile from our school.
The works were established at a spot on the left bank of the river Leannan, about half a mile from where it rises in Gartan Lake. The water of the Leannan, was used somehow in the operation. There is a bridge across the river at its source, and just below this, the water was drawn and crossed several farms to the Ironworks. Some portions of the Lade have been filled in, and drained by the owners of the land, within the past hundred years. Some of the stones of which the Carr was built are still to be seen in the river.
The field in which the "Works" stood, is still known by the present occupier as the "Ironworks", and is

(continues on next page)
Collector
Lizzie Russell
Gender
female
Address
Churchtown, Co. Donegal
Informant
Mrs Isabella Rankin
Gender
female
Age
80
Address
Treantagh, Co. Donegal
Language
English