School: An Clochán Liath (Dungloe)

Location:
Dunglow, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Róis, Bean Uí Éaluighthe

Filter stories

Back
/ 077 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Rutland Barracks

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1061, Page 044

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Rutland Barracks

The Rutland Barracks, Meenmore, Dungloe, co. Donegal, was build about teh year 1800, by a man named Burton, an ancestor of the marquis of connyham, who owned the Rosses estate up to the time of the Land Purchase.
The Barracks was a spacious building, consisting of large main building, three storeys high, and [?] feet long and [?] feet wide. It had two side wings two storey in height, and [?] feet long and [?] feet wide. A large hall door, witih about fourteen stone steps up to it, was on the second storey. The Barracks stood in its

(continues on next page)
Collector
Brigid Mc Cole
Gender
female
Informant
Michael Sweeney
Gender
male
Address
Meenmore, Co. Donegal
Language
English