School: Niall Mór (roll number 11843)

Location:
Killybegs, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
B. Mac Niallghuis

Filter stories

Back
/ 318 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Altar Bridge

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1039, Page 261

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Altar Bridge;- About a mile North East of Killybegs there is a bridge called Ryan's Bridge and a few yards above this one there is another bridge called Altar Bridge or Droicead na h-Altora. One time this bridge was part of the main road but now it is overgrown with weeds and grass and is never used. It is known as Altar Bridge because in the penal days that is where mass was said. On cold winter mornings the people from Killybegs and beyond the water would go to Altar Bridge to hear mass. Then one man would keep watch lest the soldiers would come and kill them. Then if they would happen to see any of the soldiers coming they would get into their boats and row out to sea where they would be safe. Then when the soldiers would go away they would come back to mass. There was a holy water font hewn out of stone near Altar Bridge but it was taken to the Rough Wood out at the Commons. In the penal times the priest would tell one catholic family where he was going to have mass and they would tell other catholic families and so on and then they would gather on the appointed day in this place for mass. Altar Bridge was one of the principle places for saying mass.
Told by Mrs. Gallagher, Castlecommon, age 95 yrs.
Written by Mary O'Donnell, Killybegs.

Collector
Mary O Donnell
Gender
female
Address
Killybegs, Co. Donegal
Informant
Mrs Gallagher
Gender
female
Age
95
Address
Cashelcummin, Co. Donegal
Language
English
Location
Killybegs