School: Leitir Mhór (roll number 15944)

Location:
Lettermore, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Eilís Ní Bhaoghaill

Filter stories

Back
/ 252 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local History - The Dysart Graveyard

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1037, Page 160

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

About 1460 the Franciscans founded a monastery, an auxiliary house in Dysart which Hugh Roe endowed with a small estate. Here the sick monks and those devoted to literary work were accommodated in ideal surroundings. The graveyard is now very rarely resorted to for funerals but clay taken from beneath the altar is used for the strange purpose of banishing rats.
The small detachment of the Inver community of monks residing here was not dispersed for some time after 1609 for it was here the aged Bishop Dr. Nial O'Boyle prepared himself for the final ordeal and received the last summons on the 6th of February 1611. Dysart is situated within the limits of the historic Gleneany, which spreads out like an elliptical amphitheatre beneath the delightful plateau

(continues on next page)
Collector
Gerald Gallagher
Gender
male
Address
Lettermore, Co. Donegal
Informant
Éilis Ní Bhaoghaill
Relation
not a relative
Gender
female
Occupation
teacher
Language
English