School: Lathaigh (Laghey)

Location:
Laghy, Co. Donegal
Teacher:
Proinsias Mac Pháidín

Filter stories

Back
/ 154 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Lathaigh (Laghey) | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1032, Page 113

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

where they were finished. Then they were taken to the market where they were sold.

Place Names 28-3-38
In the village of Laghey, on the left hand side of the old road leading to Donegal, is situated a house which is named Kirkpatrick. Behind that house is situated a garden which is called the Bishops Garden.
This is why it is called so. Long ago, during the time of the penal days, there was a Bishop who lived there. The authorities were looking for him to put him to death, but a good kind-hearted Protestant woman, left a note on the table for him.
When the Bishop saw the notice he left his home and went down the garden behind the house and out on the Coach road and so he was never seen or heard tell of after.