After the demolition of the Abbey Monastery the people of Kilbarron parish had no church to go to. After a number of years a church to meet the needs of the parish was built in the townland of Coolcolly. It stood somewhere near the present waterwork reservoir. Later a parish church was erected in Chapel Street. It stood on the site of the present church which was erected in the year 1842.
School: St Joseph's, Béal Átha Seanaigh
On this page
During the years of the famine 1846-'47-'48 there was great poverty in the country. The majority of the people existed largely on coarse fish and Indian meal and many were not able to buy any kind of food. To feed these poor people the authorities provided free meals which consisted of Indian meal porridge which was generally for