Esker Church taken by Alice Neary, Aug. 1938.Esker, "a ridge of hill is so called from being part of the great causeway which, in the third century was constituted between Dublin and Galway. This Causeway divided Leath Conn and Leath Mogha. There were four manors in the County Dublin called "the Kings Land". They belonged to the Crown. They were Esker, Newcastle, Saggart and Crumlin. To the manor of Esker were attached Ballydowd, Finnstown, ballyowen and Lishoke. It was dedicated to the great St. Finian.
(continues on next page)