School: Presentation Convent, Lucan

Location:
Lucan, Co. Dublin
Teacher:
Sr Gabriel

Filter stories

Back
/ 315 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Presentation Convent, Lucan | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0793, Page 147

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

Taken from Lucania which was written by Rev william S Donegan, C.C.
St Mary's, Lucan, 1902

(no title)

After the Norman invasion the manor of Lucan was in possession of Wirries Peche or de Peche...

After the Norman invasion, the manor of Lucan was in possession of Wirris Peche or de Perche, who very probably built the castle, the ruins of which may still be seen in the demense. In 1327 the castle was the property of Robert de Nottingham, then Mayor of dublin. Our chief magistrates at that time and later seem to have been closely associated with Lucan. The oldest existing bridge over the liffey, on the road from Lucan to Celbridge, was built in 1308 by John Le Dicer, Provost of Dublin, at his own cost. About the middle of the sixteenth

(continues on next page)
Language
English