School: Naul (roll number 1170)

Location:
Naul, Co. Dublin
Teacher:
C. Mac Fhíonntaigh

Filter stories

Back
/ 121 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Old Houses in the District

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0787, Page 116

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The oldest house in this district belongs to Adam Ward, Lecklintown Lane. It was built in the year 1703 and is still inhabited. Stones for building purposes being scarce the house was built of mud and straw and has a thatched roof.
The centre wall contains the openings for the fires - a large one for the kitchen and a small one for the room fire.
The opening for the room fire was made by plastering clay around a hole about a foot in diameter. Then as the wall arose the stick was pulled up leaving the opening behind.
A very wide opening for chimney in kitchen almost five feet from chimney brace.
The sods or "scraws" were used to cover the timber on roof but the straw was placed remarkably even on the laths.
Clay used for building purposes was got by making "laneways" often four or five feet in depth from the

(continues on next page)
Collector
Charles Mc Ginty
Gender
male
Occupation
teacher
Address
Naul, Co. Dublin
Language
English
Location
Naul