Historic Spots at Balbriggan
Knocknagin, The Hill of the Heads, and the birthplace of St. Beings. - P.J. Daly, Drogheda St Balbriggan.
About two miles North of Balbriggan is a townsland which bears the name of Knocknagin, which means in Irish, the Hill of the Heads. The towns land takes the name from an ancient mound adjacent to the new bridge over the Delvin, the small river which divides the Counties of Dublin and Meath. In 1840 the mound was explored by the late Geo. Alexander Hamilton, M.P. of Hampton Hall, Balbriggan, who took a deep interest in local antiquities. Mr. Hamilton has given the following particulars concerning this historic landmark at Knocknagin. The mound, when opened, was found to be composed of small round stones and shingle from the seashore. Underneath the surface the mound was encircled by a wall of huge stones. A rude platform of apparently beaten clay, upon which was an immense heap of burnt human bones, was discovered within the circle, and also a chamber constructed of huge flags some of
(continues on next page)