School: Balscadden (roll number 9492)

Balscaddan, Co. Dublin
P. Ó Séaghdha Francis Shaw
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0783, Page 220

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0783, Page 220

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Balscadden
  2. XML Page 220
  3. XML “Old Church Ruins”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. 220
    Old Church Ruins.
    In the old church yard there are the says that St Laurence O Toole gave confirmation here in 1170. The exact year is not known. Parts of the walls are still to be seen and one gable end is still infact and covered with ivy. The altar was on the East side. It was used as a church until Cromwell arrived here when on his march to sack Drogheda. He encamped near this place and blew up this church with his cannon. His soldiers also poluted the Holy well and also the one at Tubbersool. From that time on to now the remaining parts are slowly crumbling away. Next a mud chapel was erected on the commons. It was thatched. This did not last long, so another chapel was built along the "Street" beside where Dillons live now. The boys used to play handball on the gable end, so the priest planted an ash tree there to stop the game, and this tree is still growing here. Funerals going around
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Annie Costello