School: An Clochar, Dún Mór

Dunmore East, Co. Waterford
Siúracha na Trócaire

Filter stories

/ 171 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
An Clochar, Dún Mór | The Schools’ Collection

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0652, Page 163

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

(continued from previous page)

for a period of time corresponding according to the nature of the offence. The Woods were Protestants but they were converted to the true faith. This school existed for quite a long time from about 1866 to 1882.

There was another school in Ballyglan for boys and girls. It was a thatched house situated about a mile from Woodstown. Miss Ahearne from Bonmahon taught there and next miss Kirwan from Kilmaquaide took over this school which eventually was closed down when Knockhouse national school was built. In this school the three R's were taught with the addition of history, geography and sums. The children paid weekly according to the classes they were in eg. 1d for first class 2d for 2nd class.
There was another school conducted by Mr Pine for the boys in Killea where they learned the three R's history, geography, and sums. He also taught the boys all the things that cadets on ships learn. The fee in this school also varied according to the classes e.g. 1d for first class and 2d for 2nd class. This was the only school in Killea and it was situated in a thatched house near the well in Killea in close proximity to the Church. It was closed down when Killea National school was opened.