School: Baile na Sagart, Lios Mór

Feagarrid, Co. Waterford
G. Armstong

Filter stories

/ 142 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Local Happenings

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0636, Page 113

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

The house of, Mr Micheal Devine, Reannacoolagh, was burned in the year 1934.
There was no one living in the house but himself. He was cutting hay one day and there were some men helping him. While they were out in the field, Mr. M. Devine hung some wet bags on the crane to dry and he went out then. While he was out the bags took fire.
Some of the house was burned before the fire was quenched.
The house of, Mr. John Dooley, Knocknaboul, was burned in 1920.
He was watching a mare. He had a lamp lighting in the stable.
There was straw off the timber. The straw took fire. The timber and the roof of the house were burned.
There was a fever in Ballysaggart 45 years ago. Miss Lizzie Dunne, Coole, aged twenty one years died with it. It was a cobler who brought the germs around first.
Mr. and Mrs. Nugent, Feagarrid died also with the same fever.

(continues on next page)
Mr Thomas Fennessy
Ballysaggart More, Co. Waterford