School: Breaffy (roll number 15555)

Breaghwy, Co. Mayo
Peadar Ó Catháin

Filter stories

/ 369 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Old Schools

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0147, Page 327

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Before Breaffy National School was built in the year 1902 there was an old school in Killgallon's barn. The pupils would learn a lot there. There was a woman teaching in it first whose name was Mrs. OHora and after her came Mrs. Wall.
The boys and girls were full-grown when they would start going to school. They used to go only for two or three years. They had no copybooks then only slates There were no fires and if it rained heavy it would come in through

(continues on next page)