Patrick O'Malley's house was burned down about fifty years ago. The Father and Mother went to Castlebar and left the children in charge of the house. It was a thatched house and when the chimney went on fire, the children were not able to save the thatched roof. Once the roof took fire it spread quickly. Some neighbours came to help and managed to save a little of the furniture before the roof fell in. The neighbours brought the children with them and tried to console them until their parents came home. During the following weeks the friends and neighbours gave all the help necessary to re-roof the house and the O'Malley's were able to go back and live in their house in about a month after the burning.
- Maureen Mulloy